Intellectual Property Management
Implementation Status of Intellectual Property Management Plan
The implementation status of the Company's intellectual property management plan for 2023 is as follows:
To effectively manage and maintain intellectual property, it is essential to ensure that all personnel understand intellectual property management correctly. This will aid in improving competitiveness and protect the Company's intellectual property rights. In order to achieve this, the Board of Directors approved the Intellectual Property Management Policy and Intellectual Property Management Plan on August 7, 2023. These policies have been tailored to the Company's operational objectives and resources. Annually, the Board of Directors is informed on the progress of plan implementation.
The implementation status of the 2023 Intellectual Property Management Plan and related content were reported at the Board of Directors meeting on November 10, 2023.
- Current List of Intellectual Property Items:
- Patent Rights:
The Company originally held one patent, which expired on September 25, 2023 after a duration of ten years. The patent right was extinguished upon expiration.
- Trademark Rights:
As a part of our business operations and to enhance our protective measures, we have applied for trademark registration in 2022. We have used three trademark patterns and seven types, including metal components, to secure our trademark usage status. The registration process was completed in January 2023.
- Patent Rights:
- To enhance the legal knowledge and understanding of intellectual property among employees and to ensure that intellectual property management concepts are integrated into business operations, an outside attorney was appointed to conduct a three-hour course on Trade Secret Law on October 26, 2023. The course was open to all employees and designated staff of business-related departments; a total of 84 employees completed the education and training.
- The Plan, Do, Check, and Act (PDCA) management cycle will be continuously promoted and implemented to manage trademarks and other intellectual property items effectively. Related trademark usage is registered and administered by a dedicated unit.
- The aforementioned Intellectual Property Management Policy, Intellectual Property Management Plan, and other operations are announced on the Company website and bulletin board for inquiry by external stakeholders and colleagues.
Intellectual Property Management Policy
The Intellectual Property Management Policy was formulated to effectively manage and maintain intellectual property and ensure that the Company's acquisition, protection, maintenance and utilization of intellectual property complies with related regulations.
- Comply with all intellectual property-related rules and regulations published by the Intellectual Property Office under MOEA.
- Comply with international intellectual property conventions and the rules and requirements from all national and regional intellectual property rights management institutions.
- Establish an appropriate intellectual property management mechanism and incorporate such mechanism into various business and operational procedures.
- Establish an intellectual property management and protection system and review this system's operation regularly.
- Enhance the employees' knowledge of intellectual property rights and continuously organize training to promote the importance of intellectual property rights to reduce related risks and help employees take countermeasures when needed.
- Intellectual property rights protection and infringement prevention:
- An employee's publications, inventions, designs, trade secrets and other intellectual property created as part of his/her responsibilities at work belong to the Company.The ownership of any intellectual property created under the Company's commission or collaboration with a third party will be stipulated in each individual contract.
- Any intellectual property from the Company's R&D and creations must be linked to the Company's operational objectives and comply with IP-related regulations without infringing any person's intellectual property rights; when the Company commissions or collaborates with a third party to create intellectual properties, the contracts must stipulate that the third party must not infringe others' intellectual property rights and must maintain confidentiality.
If after an internal evaluation, the Company deems it necessary to register the rights for the intellectual property created or obtained, as stated above, the department responsible for such intellectual property should complete the registration process as soon as possible.
- When licensing a third party to use the Company's intellectual property, the contract should stipulate the scope of licensing, restrictions, and penalties.
- If the Company has the need to use or uses a third party's intellectual property rights, the Company should obtain the owner's licensing; when working with a third party who uses others' intellectual property, then the contract with that third party must stipulate warranty liability, requiring that third party to warrant that he/she has not infringed anyone's intellectual property rights. When signing a contract with a third party, a confidentiality agreement should be signed if the type of contract requires it.
1. Formulated on August 7, 2023
Intellectual Property Management Plan
To effectively manage and maintain its intellectual properties, the Company has formulated an intellectual property strategy that incorporates the Company's operational objectives and resources with a business model that generates value for the Company through intellectual property rights. These have set the standard for the Company's intellectual property rights management, allowing the Company to protect its own interests while preventing infringement of others' rights. The Company can enjoy operational freedom while its employees will have correct understanding of intellectual property management, which can boost the Company's competitiveness. The Company will report to the board at least once a year on this plan's content and execution.
- Patent management:
- Following the Company's business plan, search for patents and file an application to apply for patents.
- Understand how to apply for patents and how patents are protected in the local market.
- Have a dedicated unit to protect the Company's patents, preserve patent documents, and compile the Company's list of patents.
- Trademark management:
- Following the Company's business plan, register trademarks both domestic and abroad.
- Evaluate the Company's overseas operations to ensure the legality and specificity of the Company's trademarks to prevent the infringement of other companies' trademarks.
- Protect the Company's exclusive rights to its trademarks via legal relief proceedings.
- Stop trademark infringement by others to protect the Company's interests.
- Update the Company's trademark registration and extension materials regularly each year, with a dedicated unit responsible for preserving and compiling the documents related to the Company's trademark rights.
- Trade secrets management:
- Sign a confidentiality agreement with the information recipient over the classified information that is necessary to be disclosed.
- Use regulations and labor contracts to require employees to keep the Company's trade secrets confidential.
- Have a dedicated unit to preserve and compile documents related to the Company's trade secrets rights.
- Copyrights management:
- If an employee writes an article, he/she must prevent copyright infringement in his/her article. If the article cites other publications, it should be done reasonably with clear citations.
- The Company uses only legal work equipment and information software to prevent violations of the copyright law.
- Review and take inventory of the Company's copyrights-related documents regularly and improve the employee's intellectual property knowledge via intellectual property training.
- A dedicated unit responsible for preserving and compiling documents related to copyrights.
1. Formulated on August 7, 2023